Metadata : Records of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
Collection
- Country:
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Holding institution:
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
- Holding institution (official language):
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
- Postal address:
- 277 Bancroft RoadLondonGreater LondonUnited KingdomE1 4DQ
- Phone number:
- Telephone: 020 7364 1290
- Web address:
- http://www.ideastore.co.uk/local-history
- Country:
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Holding institution:
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
- Holding institution (official language):
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
- Postal address:
- 277 Bancroft RoadLondonGreater LondonUnited KingdomE1 4DQ
- Phone number:
- Telephone: 020 7364 1290
- Web address:
- http://www.ideastore.co.uk/local-history
- Reference number:
- S/BRA
- Title:
- Records of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
- Title (official language):
- Records of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
- Date(s):
- 1925/1981
- Language:
- English
- Extent:
- 93 items
- Scope and content:
- Records of the Brady Clubs, including minutes, membership and other records.
- Administrative/biographical history:
-
The first Brady Club for Boys was opened in Whitechapel in 1896. It was pioneered by a group of wealthy West End Jews, including Lady Rothschild. Its chief remit was to improve the quality of life for working lads from London's East End, whose families were mainly refugees from Germany and Russia. Another objective was to anglicize the boys, most of whom had Yiddish as their first language.
In its early years, the Club facilitated educational and recreational opportunities, and holidays at a network of summer camps. The Club enjoyed the leadership of some remarkable individuals in its time. One was local campaigner Miriam Moses, who founded the Girls' Club in 1921 in premises in Hanbury Street. She was later elected as the first female mayor of Stepney in 1931.
By the end of the war, the Boys' Club had moved from its original premises in Brady Street, via Durward Street, and thence to Hanbury Street, where it combined with the Girls' Club. The Club continued to thrive as a result of an expanding programme. This included a non-denominational creche; an Old Members' Club and camps and holidays in Britain and abroad. The Club offered amateur dramatics; sporting activities; a camera club; scouts and guides troupes and many practical workshops.Attendance began to decline in the 1970s, owing to the dispersal of the local Jewish community to other parts of London. The last youth members left around the late 1970s. The Hanbury Street site was sold to Tower Hamlets Council and renamed The Brady Arts and Community Centre. In the 1990s the original Brady Club moved to premises in North London. Old members continued to organise similar events and activities.The momentum of the original clubs continues, via reunions of past members, and its photographic archive.
- Access points: locations:
- London
- Access points: persons/families:
- Moses, Miriam
- Access, restrictions:
- Open
- Finding aids:
- Online catalogue.
- Links to finding aids:
- http://www.thcatalogue.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=S%2fBRA
- Yerusha Network member:
- AIM25
- Reference number:
- S/BRA
- Title:
- Records of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
- Title (official language):
- Records of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
- Date(s):
- 1925/1981
- Language:
- English
- Extent:
- 93 items
- Scope and content:
- Records of the Brady Clubs, including minutes, membership and other records.
- Administrative/biographical history:
-
The first Brady Club for Boys was opened in Whitechapel in 1896. It was pioneered by a group of wealthy West End Jews, including Lady Rothschild. Its chief remit was to improve the quality of life for working lads from London's East End, whose families were mainly refugees from Germany and Russia. Another objective was to anglicize the boys, most of whom had Yiddish as their first language.
In its early years, the Club facilitated educational and recreational opportunities, and holidays at a network of summer camps. The Club enjoyed the leadership of some remarkable individuals in its time. One was local campaigner Miriam Moses, who founded the Girls' Club in 1921 in premises in Hanbury Street. She was later elected as the first female mayor of Stepney in 1931.
By the end of the war, the Boys' Club had moved from its original premises in Brady Street, via Durward Street, and thence to Hanbury Street, where it combined with the Girls' Club. The Club continued to thrive as a result of an expanding programme. This included a non-denominational creche; an Old Members' Club and camps and holidays in Britain and abroad. The Club offered amateur dramatics; sporting activities; a camera club; scouts and guides troupes and many practical workshops.Attendance began to decline in the 1970s, owing to the dispersal of the local Jewish community to other parts of London. The last youth members left around the late 1970s. The Hanbury Street site was sold to Tower Hamlets Council and renamed The Brady Arts and Community Centre. In the 1990s the original Brady Club moved to premises in North London. Old members continued to organise similar events and activities.The momentum of the original clubs continues, via reunions of past members, and its photographic archive.
- Access points: locations:
- London
- Access points: persons/families:
- Moses, Miriam
- Access, restrictions:
- Open
- Finding aids:
- Online catalogue.
- Links to finding aids:
- http://www.thcatalogue.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=S%2fBRA
- Yerusha Network member:
- AIM25