Metadata : Archive of the Town of Postoloprty
Collection
- Country:
- Czechia
- Holding institution:
- State District Archives Louny
- Holding institution (official language):
- Státní okresní archiv Louny
- Postal address:
- Mírové náměstí 57, Louny, 440 01
- Phone number:
- 00420 477 755 892
- Email:
- sokalouny@soalitomerice.cz
- Country:
- Czechia
- Holding institution:
- State District Archives Louny
- Holding institution (official language):
- Státní okresní archiv Louny
- Postal address:
- Mírové náměstí 57, Louny, 440 01
- Phone number:
- 00420 477 755 892
- Email:
- sokalouny@soalitomerice.cz
- Reference number:
- 180
- Title:
- Archive of the Town of Postoloprty
- Title (official language):
- Archiv města Postoloprty
- Creator/accumulator:
- Town of Postoloprty
- Date(s):
- 1604 /1945
- Language:
- Czech
- German
- Latin
- Extent:
- 45.41 linear metres
- Physical condition:
- good
- Scope and content:
- The fonds contains documents of the self-government of the town of Postoloprty. Regarding Jewish issues, the fonds includes a book of notes on the synagogue (1804-69) containing records of ownership of individual seats. Other mention of Postoloprty Jews can be found in: council protocols, 1722-88; protocols of the council board and council, 1850-1937; protocols of the social commission, 1924-38; land registers, 1707-1874; books of inheritance testimonies, transfers and settlements, 1705-1850; books of debts, 1706-1854; rent books, 1772-1850, protocols of allotments, 1843-88; books of issued residence certificates, 1852-1931; register of trades and crafts, 1922-39; and protocols on inspection of dead bodies, 1839-1901. In the registry, attention should also be paid to files 425 (domicile rights, 1881-1904), 438 (social matters and issues of the poor, 1902-12), 469 (personal documents of the population, 1850-1945) and 478 (documents of the registry office, 1938-45). The correspondence of the municipal office from 1938-45 (file 476) includes correspondence concerning the transfer of assets of the former Jewish religious community in Postoloprty to the town in 1940-41.
- Archival history:
- The documents of the Postoloprty municipal office were stored in the town halland transferred to the state district archives in Louny in 1970. The other agenda of the Postoloprty municipal office was taken to the archives during the appraisal proceedings of the documents in 1988. In 1997 an addendum to the inventory was created.
- Administrative/biographical history:
- The first written mention of Postoloprty can be found in the collection of the oldest Czech legends, Cosmas Chronicle, from the early 12th century, which mentions a settlement called Postolopirth. From 1853-68 Postoloprty was the seat of a political district which ceased to exist in 1868, though a district court remained there. Jewish settlement was evidenced as early as 1644. In 1671 the manorial authority settled several Jewish families from the Lower Austrian town of Sitzendorf in Postoloprty. The Jewish street, now Mánesova Street, was founded in 1692 as a ghetto on the eastern edge of the town. The brick synagogue, built in 1722, originally stood at the northern end of the Jewish street and was later surrounded by houses on both sides. After the second world war the fell from use and was eventually demolished in 1980.
- Access points: locations:
- Postoloprty
- System of arrangement:
- The fonds is arranged as follows: 1. Books (1.1 Books ensuring rights of the community as a whole - protocols of the town council board, bailiffs' manuals, protocols of the town council, protocols of commissions, 1.2 Books confirming rights of the inhabitants, 1.3 Books of population register, 1.4 Reports of the numbers of the town inhabitants); 2. Registry (documents from 1850-1938 are ordered chronologically, only a small portion the registry is arranged according to subject matter). From 1850-1945 a continuous number of registry aids - filing registers - have been preserved.
- Finding aids:
- Lůžek, B., Archiv města Postoloprty, Inventář, 1970, 132 s., ev. č. 25.
- Author of the description:
- JMP Survey, 2015.
- Reference number:
- 180
- Title:
- Archive of the Town of Postoloprty
- Title (official language):
- Archiv města Postoloprty
- Creator/accumulator:
- Town of Postoloprty
- Date(s):
- 1604 /1945
- Language:
- Czech
- German
- Latin
- Extent:
- 45.41 linear metres
- Physical condition:
- good
- Scope and content:
- The fonds contains documents of the self-government of the town of Postoloprty. Regarding Jewish issues, the fonds includes a book of notes on the synagogue (1804-69) containing records of ownership of individual seats. Other mention of Postoloprty Jews can be found in: council protocols, 1722-88; protocols of the council board and council, 1850-1937; protocols of the social commission, 1924-38; land registers, 1707-1874; books of inheritance testimonies, transfers and settlements, 1705-1850; books of debts, 1706-1854; rent books, 1772-1850, protocols of allotments, 1843-88; books of issued residence certificates, 1852-1931; register of trades and crafts, 1922-39; and protocols on inspection of dead bodies, 1839-1901. In the registry, attention should also be paid to files 425 (domicile rights, 1881-1904), 438 (social matters and issues of the poor, 1902-12), 469 (personal documents of the population, 1850-1945) and 478 (documents of the registry office, 1938-45). The correspondence of the municipal office from 1938-45 (file 476) includes correspondence concerning the transfer of assets of the former Jewish religious community in Postoloprty to the town in 1940-41.
- Archival history:
- The documents of the Postoloprty municipal office were stored in the town halland transferred to the state district archives in Louny in 1970. The other agenda of the Postoloprty municipal office was taken to the archives during the appraisal proceedings of the documents in 1988. In 1997 an addendum to the inventory was created.
- Administrative/biographical history:
- The first written mention of Postoloprty can be found in the collection of the oldest Czech legends, Cosmas Chronicle, from the early 12th century, which mentions a settlement called Postolopirth. From 1853-68 Postoloprty was the seat of a political district which ceased to exist in 1868, though a district court remained there. Jewish settlement was evidenced as early as 1644. In 1671 the manorial authority settled several Jewish families from the Lower Austrian town of Sitzendorf in Postoloprty. The Jewish street, now Mánesova Street, was founded in 1692 as a ghetto on the eastern edge of the town. The brick synagogue, built in 1722, originally stood at the northern end of the Jewish street and was later surrounded by houses on both sides. After the second world war the fell from use and was eventually demolished in 1980.
- Access points: locations:
- Postoloprty
- System of arrangement:
- The fonds is arranged as follows: 1. Books (1.1 Books ensuring rights of the community as a whole - protocols of the town council board, bailiffs' manuals, protocols of the town council, protocols of commissions, 1.2 Books confirming rights of the inhabitants, 1.3 Books of population register, 1.4 Reports of the numbers of the town inhabitants); 2. Registry (documents from 1850-1938 are ordered chronologically, only a small portion the registry is arranged according to subject matter). From 1850-1945 a continuous number of registry aids - filing registers - have been preserved.
- Finding aids:
- Lůžek, B., Archiv města Postoloprty, Inventář, 1970, 132 s., ev. č. 25.
- Author of the description:
- JMP Survey, 2015.